Wednesday, December 8, 2010

File Grooming v.1.0.1 (moving, compressing, deleting) made simple


Last night I couldn’t sleep so I decided to write a new application. Where I work I constantly run into issues of low disk space on servers because log files are left on them for months or sometimes years past their necessary retention span. Of course different customers and different applications all have different retention spans. This is when I decided to create File Grooming. File Grooming v.1.0.1 is a simple command line utility that can be set up as a scheduled task or just simply run from a command line when necessary. First the user specifies the directory to groom and then they can choose if they would like to move the files, compress the files, compress and move the files, or simply delete the files outside of their retention period.
For example, currently I have one client set up where if the log files are more than 7 days old it will archive them and move them to a different drive. It will also monitor that location for files over 60 days old and delete them.  I have also set up logging capabilities in the application so the user can have a clear list to see what activities have been invokes and against which files.
This is a very lightweight application and of course being version 1.0.1 I’m sure there will be plenty of ideas for improvements and advancements. So if this sounds like a useful application to you please download it and let me know what you think so I can continue to better improve my applications. I would also like to thank everyone who donates, it is your kind donations that allow me to continue to provide freeware and really show your appreciation. So Thank you once again.

 Requirements:
Windows 2000 or newer


As always all questions and comments are welcome and appreciated. Thank you and god bless.

Disclaimer: Your use of the information contained in this blog, is solely at your own risk. All information provided on this blog and in its downloads are "as -is", without any warranty, whether express or implied, of its accuracy, completeness, fitness for a particular purpose, title or non-infringement. Further, we shall not be liable for any damages you may sustain by using this information, whether direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential, even if it has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

No comments:

Post a Comment